Starting to look better now. Changes made:
- Extended the mountain range, added some colour. Which may be a bit too vivid and needs to be muted a bit. Also need to mist out the top so it looks like it's piercing the clouds. It's an epic-looking peak.
- Some detail added to the dragon. Changed the shape of the facing wing, but since it's hidden behind the pine tree, the change is subtle. He's looking a bit "flat" right now - shadows need to be deeper on the underside and the angles opposite the light source (which is coming in from top left-ish). The scales are not yet gleaming like I want them to, and I'm not particularly pleased with the pattern either.
- Forest is darker and deeper. I really like how it looks on the right side. That side is essentially "done."
- Detail added to the grass. Much more needs to be done there . I want to add ferns and leafy plants like you actually find in mixed forests.
- Tweaked the river. Added banks and ripples. I feel very strongly that there should be jagged exposed rocks jutting from the stream, and that the water should be swirling and rushing past them.
About 4 or 5 hours into it at this point. I estimate another 4 or 5 yet to come. For the record, this is turning out to be my best landscape painting yet.